The hot stones massage originated in India – it was a part of a purification ritual, as long as 5000 years ago. The positive influence of massage with the use of hot stones on human’s body was also known in the Ancient Rome, where it was actively used as a popular pain reliever.Nowadays, this form of massage is performed with the use of smooth, black (most of the time basalt) stones, which are typically heated up to 50-54 degrees Celsius (122 – 129 Fahrenheit). The best stones, used for medical purposes, are the stones that come from Hawaii and Bali and have been polished by the sea waves.
The hot stones massage combines in it a few different therapeutic techniques:
- Lymphatic massage
- Classical massage
The process of the hot stones massageThis massage technique is based on a far-eastern philosophical system, according to which, in human’s body there are different points of energy called chakras. During the hot stones massage, there are 7 chakras affected (which, according to beliefs, are also the most important ones) – the root chakra, (base of the spine), the sacral chakra, (sacrum), solar plexus chakra (celiac plexus), heart chakra (chest), throat chakra (parallel to the thyroid gland), third-eye chakra (pineal gland) and crown chakra (top of the head).
The stones are laid down on the body according to the map of chakras. After that, the person performing the massage puts the oils on the patient’s skin and with the slow, steady movements, moves the stones in specific directions, along the channels of energy flow.The size of the stones is chosen depending on the size of massaged area – bigger stones are used to massage the torso than for example forehead. The whole process takes usually an hour and a half. After that, at least a 1-hour-long rest is recommended.
The benefits of the hot stones massage:
- It’s very healthy for your skin, making it clear, moist and glowing.
- It’s great to get rid of cellulite, and is often used in anti-cellulite treatments
- It positively affects the circulation of blood and lymphIt’s great for muscle regeneration after injuries or strains.
- It increases the elasticity of your musclesIt can increase your endurance and make your muscles strongerIt increases metabolism
- It’s highly relaxing, releases tension from your bodyIt’s a great pain reliever
When should you use hot stones massage?
- Body exhaustion
- Chronic stress and anxiety
- DepressionSleeping disorder
- Post-injury and post-stroke
- Central nervous system injuries
- Muscle strains and chronic pains, myalgia
- Certain cardiovascular disorders
- Reynaud’s disease
Although hot Stones massage is great for a lot of ailments, you shouldn’t try it in case of:
- Skin inflammation
- Tendency for blood clotting
- Bone fractures
- High body temperature
It’s also not recommended shortly after an operation, radiotherapy or chemotherapy. Although hot stones massage is good for certain heart disorders, it is advised to consult any decision with your doctor prior to taking it, should you suffer from a certain heart condition.
Apart from a few contraindications, the hot stones massage is a great pain reliever, highly relaxing and diminishing stress. If you are looking for a way to relax, reload your body with a lot of energy and are looking for a way to calm down, sleep better and better control your emotions, a session of a good massage will definitely recharge your batteries.